New Jersey After 3's Key Accomplishments
New Jersey After 3 accomplished a great deal in a short period of time: Its comprehensive, evidence-based, high quality afterschool programs served more than 75,000 students; leveraged over $32,000,000 in private and other outside support (In FY 2011 alone we leveraged over $4.5 million to the State's contribution of $3 million - a 150% rate of return); kept administrative costs at approximately 5%; maintained a remarkably low cost per child (less than half of what of other high quality afterschool programs cost according to a large-scale national study); supported over 1,500 afterschool jobs; and, maintained an outstanding average daily attendance rate of over 80%.
New Jersey After 3 integrated academics; sports, health, and fitness; college and career prep; arts; and service learning into every program-an approach which led to important academic, behavioral and workforce benefits.
A 3-year independent evaluation of New Jersey After 3 found that student participants:
- Demonstrated statistically significant gains in language arts skills (for those that participated 2 years or more);
- Displayed stronger study skills than their peers;
- Improved homework completion rates;
- Increased their ability to solve math problems;
- Improved classroom grades.
An external evaluation of New Jersey After 3's Trenton Afterschool Partnership reported:
- Students completed their homework more often;
- 93% of parents felt their students did better in school because of the afterschool programs;
- 90% of the parents said they were able to find or keep a job because of the program.
New Jersey After 3 also brought innovations and new ideas to New Jersey's expanded learning time landscape, including:
- An affordable evidence-based model that can be brought to scale in any New Jersey community;
- The first city-wide evidence-based afterschool partnership in a major urban center (Trenton) in which the school district, the City, New Jersey After 3, private funders and several nonprofit partners expanded learning time for over 2,400 kids in every District school. This partnership is aligned with the strategy now being advocated for by the National League of Cities.
- The first Promising Practices Competition and Showcase, highlighting and recognizing the best in afterschool;
- Recognition as a Veteran Lead Agency for Global Youth Service Day and Semester of Service;
- Integration of afterschool into a community schools model;
- Hosting the State's first Expanded Learning Time Summit;
- Developing the State's first online Afterschool Directory;
- Instrumental in the distribution of more than 200,000 free, new books to close to 40,000 children throughout New Jersey.
- Provided a comprehensive system of professional development for more than 6,000 afterschool staff and site managers.
New Jersey After 3
391 George Street, 2nd Floor
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Phone: (732) 246-7933
Fax: (732) 246-7993